Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Volley #12

Volley #12: MY NEW HEROES

When I joined the bishop’s staff last September, for the first time in over 30 years, I had no church congregation that I had, or even wanted, to attend. The one congregation where I knew and liked the people was now unavailable to me and Linda, and there wasn’t another one where we really felt at home. Knowing and liking the clergy, and maybe a handful of others, was not enough. We had no church that was “our” church. And for the first time in decades, Sunday morning came, and I didn’t really want to go to church!

Fortunately, that feeling has not lasted, and there are now a number of congregations where we enjoy worshiping. I’m grateful for having that experience, though. It enabled me to realize something of what Sunday morning is like for normal, un-churched people.

Shocking News Flash! It is A LOT easier to read the newspaper in bed with coffee and croissants than it is to get up, roust and terrorize the children, dress to impress, and drive to church. So I have a set of new heroes: those people who, despite not having a church congregation in which they are comfortable and familiar, habitual members, nevertheless arise and go anyway. It takes determination, resolve, inner resources, and even courage to do it.

Consequently, we who do it every Sunday, and thereby find it easier through habit, should put aside every hint of superiority that they are not up to our standard of commitment and consistency. We should doff our hats to these brave pioneers. We should do everything in our power to welcome and honor their heroic efforts. Because, as I can now testify from recent experience—it ain’t easy being a stranger in church!

No comments: